News and Recognitions
Since it’s launch at The Glass Room New York in 2016, the Data Detox Kit has been capturing the world's attention and raising awareness about data privacy, digital security, wellbeing, and misinformation. There have been many news reports, articles, and videos which talk about the Data Detox Kit, further sharing the information and tips featured throughout the project. We've compiled a few of the most noteworthy features below. (Note: all links on this page lead to external pages)
Press can find more information about how to get in touch with an expert from Tactical Tech on this page.
In 2020, the Data Detox Kit was recognized for the Tech Spotlight at Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center as a model of technology that seeks a more inclusive, fair, and safer future. Read the recognition here .
“The Data Detox Kit brings a new narrative, a new approach: by giving people actionable tips and tricks, breaking down the issues, and allowing people the freedom to decide what is important to them.” —excerpt from the Tech Spotlight.
“Do you ever feel like a plastic bag, drifting through the wind, wanting to start again? Only the wind is the internet, and the plastic bag is a flurry of confetti exposing every detail of your personal life? If so, it may be time for a data detox.” —Amanda Yeo, Mashable, November 27, 2019.
- “How to do a data detox when you're super lazy”, Mashable, written by Amanda Yeo, November 27, 2019. Read
- “The eight-day guide to a better digital life”, BBC Future, written by Sophia Smith Galer, November 13, 2017. Read
- “Forget About That Cleanse—Do a Data Detox Instead”, Vogue magazine, written by Patricia Garcia, January 5, 2017. Read
Screenshot from “Data Detox Kit trailer” (English/Arabic). Courtesy of Goethe-Institut Cairo
- “Disappear: Cover Your Online Tracks” (English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Spanish), 119 minutes, ARTE, Directed by Marc Meillassoux, 2021. Watch
- “Data Detox Kit trailer” (English/Arabic), 3 minutes, Goethe-Institut Cairo, April 25, 2021. Watch
- “Data Detox x Youth”, 1 hour 9 minutes, APAV, February 9, 2021. Watch
- “Data Detox Kit: misinformation and disinformation”, 49 minutes, On Think Tanks, November 24, 2020. Watch
- “bpb:forum digital: SPEZIAL: Disinformation”, 52 minutes, Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung (bpb), November 11, 2020. Watch
- “OTT Talks about the Data Detox Kit”, 20 minutes, On Think Tanks, September 16, 2020. Watch
- “Data Detox: Social Media”, 2 minutes, Firefox, March 5, 2020. Watch
- “Data Detox: Computers”, 2 minutes, Firefox, February 13, 2020. Watch
- “Data Detox: Smart Phones”, 2 minutes, Firefox, January 23, 2020. Watch
- “Your Technology Is Tracking You. Take These Steps For Better Online Privacy”, NPR, October 13, 2020. Read/listen
- „Wie man mit wenigen Schritten seine Datenflut eindämmt“ (How to stem the flood of data in just a few steps), Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ), September 2019. Read
- “Data Detox for the New Year”, BBC Digital Planet, December 19, 2018. Listen
- “This App Will Help You Regain Control Over Your Data (And Devices)”, Forbes, November 16, 2017. Read